When Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, the pioneer of positive psychology, writes about the "flow" state, he describes it as a quality of being, with certain traits:
- Challenges are higher than average.
- Skills are higher than average.
- You're doing what you really like to do and are completely involved.
- You have clarity; you know what needs to be done and how well you're doing.
- A feeling of serenity; going beyond the bounds of the ego.
- Timelessness; totally focused on the present; time disappears.
This pretty much describes how it was on July 31, New Hampshire Day at Fenway Park, when I was invited to sing the National Anthem at a Boston Red Sox game. I was honored to be in this position. And I knew it was going to be a test of sorts and an opportunity to practice what I teach....